Foul-smelling gym shoes, pungent boots, malodorous flats? Yep, stinky shoes happen to everyone.
We suggest making this three-ingredient natural solution to fix your stinky-shoe problems. Simply mix, shake, and sprinkle. It naturally removes odor and stink from bacteria. It disinfects and deodorizes. It also helps to prevent new shoe stink.
It’s kinda like a shoe “deodorant”.
Homemade Stinky Shoe Powder
4 Tbsp Baking Soda
5 Drops Tea Tree Oil
5 Drops Peppermint Oil
Mix the baking soda and essential oils in a glass jar, and then pour into your shoes. Leave at least overnight (but better if you can wait 24 hours), then shake out mixture. Now you can enjoy fresh smelling shoes!
Essential Oils that Combat Stinky Smells
Tea tree oil is also known as melaleuca oil. It is extracted of the leaves of the narrow-leaved tea tree, Melaleuca alternifolia. It is known to have a fresh, camphor-like smell, and has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Applied to the feet, tea tree oil can help fight the growth of microbes that cause foot odor, and its potent natural fragrance can help mask any existing foot odors you might have.
Peppermint oil has a long history of use in aromatherapy and as a folk medicine. Active chemicals in peppermint oil include terpenoids and flavonoids. Terpenoids add peppermint’s aromatic component, while flavonoids provide an anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory component. These compounds help peppermint oil to retard microbial growth and mask any foot odors with a pleasant smell, while also helping to relive inflammation of your tired feet.
Baking soda is an awesome odor absorber, as you might know from using it in your fridge or somewhere else smelly. The baking soda is what does all the hard work in this homemade shoe deodorizer. It will pull whatever nasty odors might be hiding inside of your shoes. Just do not forget to remove the baking soda from inside the shoes in the morning otherwise you might have some trouble explaining why you have some white particles on your socks or feet.
Ways to Get the Funk out of Stinky Shoes
- Sprinkle deodorizing powder in shoe.
- Move shoe back and forth to spread powder around shoe – try to get the powder around the entire footbed of the shoe. Be sure to get the powder down in the toe box.
- You can wear the shoes right away or let the powder sit in the shoes overnight. Shoes will be fresh and clean in no time!
- Shake out excess powder into the trash.
- Have super stinky shoes? After putting the powder in the shoes, seal the shoes in an airtight bag or container. Leave them in there at least overnight, and then shake out the access powder.